Mincemeat & Marzipan Teabread
200g/8oz self-raising flour
100g/4oz cold butter, cut into pieces
85g/3oz light muscovado sugar
85g/3oz marzipan, cut into 1cm/½in cubes
2tbsp flaked almonds
icing sugar, for dusting (optional)
Takes 1 hr 20 minutes – Serves 12
- Preheat the over to 180°C/Gas 4/160°C Fan. Butter a 1kg loaf tin and line the base with greaseproof paper. Tip the flour into a bowl, add the cold butter and rub in until the mixture forms fine crumbs. Stir in the sugar and marzipan cubes.
- In another bowl, lightly whisk the eggs, then stir in the mincemeat. Stir this into the flour mixture until evenly combined. Spoon into the prepared loaf tin, smooth, and sprinkle the flaked almonds over the top. Bake for 1 hour until the tea bread is risen and golden brown, or a skewer inserted comes out clean. Lightly dust the tea bread with icing sugar while it is still hot.
- Allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then tip onto a wire rack to cool completely. Peel off the lining paper and cut into slices – it’s also very good spread with butter.
- Per serving: 265 calories, protein 4g, carbohydrate 41g, fat 11g, saturated fat 5g, fibre 1g, added sugar 15g, salt 0.44g.
Whole Clementine Cake
For the Icing
85g/3oz icing sugar
juice of 2 small clementines (or enough to make a smooth pouring icing)
crème fraîche, to serve (optional)
Takes 1 hour 45 minutes – Serves 8-10
- Put the clementines in a pan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 1 hour. Remove the clementines and cool.
- Preheat the over to 180°C/Gas 4/Fan 160°C. Butter and line the base of a 20cm/8in round, deep cake tin. Roughly chop the cooked clementines, discarding the pips. Whizz in a food processor until smooth. Whisk the sugar and eggs until light and fluffy.
- Sift the flour and ground almonds on to the egg mixture. Using a large metal spoon, fold gently, then add the clementine purée and melted butter. Fold in gently until just mixed. Pour the cake mixture into the prepared tin. Bake for 40-45 minutes until the cake is brown and springs back when lightly pressed. Cool in the tin for 5 minutes. Mix the icing sugar and juice together, drizzle, and serve with crème fraîche.
- Per serving (for eight): 307 kcalories, protein 6g, carbohydrate 41g, fat 14g, saturated fat 4g, fibre 2g, added sugar 30g, salt 0.29g.
Rhubarb and Orange Cake
350g/12oz prepared rhubarb, cut into 4cm/1½in lengths
200g/8oz golden caster sugar
finely grated zest and juice of ½ small orange
140g/5oz butter, softened
2 eggs, beaten
½ tsp baking powder
85g/3oz self-raising flour
100g/4oz ground almonds
For the Topping
25g/1oz butter, melted
25g/1oz light muscovado sugar
finely grated zest of ½ small orange
50g/2oz slivered almonds
icing sugar, for dusting
Takes 1 hour 25 minutes, plus 1 hour standing – Serves 6-8
- Mix the rhubarb with 50g/2oz of the caster sugar and the orange zest. Set aside for 1 hour, stirring once or twice.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/Gas 5/Fan 170°C. Butter and line the base of a deep 23cm/9in round cake tin. Cream the butter and remaining caster sugar. Add the eggs, baking powder, flour and ground almonds. Beat gently, but do not overmix. Stir in the orange juice, spoon into the tin, and level. Drain the rhubarb and spoon over the mixture. Bake for 25 minutes. Meanwhile, combine the butter, sugar, zest and almonds.
- Reduce the oven to 180°C/Gas 4/Fan 160°C. Sprinkle the topping over the cake and return to the oven for 15-20 minutes or until firm. Cool in the tin, then transfer to a rack. Dust with icing sugar.
- Per serving (for six): 548 calories, protein 9g, carbohydrate 44g, fat 39g, saturated fat 16g, fibre 3g, added sugar 41g, salt 0.74g.
For the Filling
85g/3oz soft butter
170g/6oz sieved icing sugar
1 tbsp strong-flavoured honey
- Place butter, sugar and water into a saucepan and heat gently until the butter has melted, stirring all the time.
- Remove pan from the heat and allow contents to cool to blood temperature. Gradually beat the eggs into the mixture. Add the sieved flour and mix until smooth.
- Pour into a 18cm/7″ greased and lined cake tin and bake for 40 minutes at 180°C/Gas 4/Fan 160°C.
- When cooked, cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes then remove from the tin and cool further.
- Meanwhile, make the filling by beating the butter and sieved icing sugar together. When smooth, add the honey and beat to combine. Cut the cold cake in half and spread on the filling.